Face 3 of the '29 Faces' Challenge: a Painted entitled 'Red Dress'


"Red Dress":  8 x 10 Original Painting





Years ago, I wrote in my blog about my own personal moratorium against purchasing new art supplies.   I explained how I felt we already have enough 'stuff' clogging up the world without me contributing to its excesses.  I rationalized how I already have at my disposal, thanks to my penchant for saving and hanging onto junk (AKA: Hoarding), PLENTY of material around here from which to make art.  And for whatever I don't have at hand but might need, I possess the creativity and skills to improvise and come up with non-commercial solutions and alternatives.... 

Well, some four years since that post, I'm happy to report that, for the most part, I'm still continuing to stick to my little personal moratorium.  Aside from a few small exceptions for some very basic elemental items, such as black and white paint (still have plenty of colors), Mod Podge, one stack of pre-cut aceo cards, gesso, and brushes, etc, I rarely ever find myself having to buy art supplies.  Take canvases for example.  For years now I've been building and preparing my own painting supports using second-hand picture frames that I acquire for very cheap, or even free.  And I have what must be a lifetime supply by now, thanks to a local charity rummage sale that gives me their end-of-sale leftovers.  At this rate I doubt I'll have to actually BUY another canvas ever again.

The following explains my painting-support-building process:

I have recently begun painting almost exclusively on supports I create myself utilising the old, salvaged wooden picture frames that cross my path from time to time (usually for free). I feel good about giving these unwanted homeless items a second life, not only because trees were cut down at some point to produce them, but also because by the time I get my hands on them they are usually destined for the landfill. The process of recycling these vintage frames into painting supports/canvases is a lengthy one, typically involving stabilizing the frames (which can be quite rickety), cutting thick paperboard to fit, securing it all and pasting and building up a painting surface with layers of overlapping scraps of paper. The end effect is a highly textured surface that adds dimension and depth to my paintings, complete with a built-in frame (onto which I often extend my painted images, incorporating the frames into the overall piece) into one cohesive, ready-to-hang whole....

Which brings me to the above Painting, 'Red Dress'.  I can't remember exactly when I started her, but it was many (many!) moons ago.   As you can see, the frame has been incorporated into the painting -- and therein I think is where I got a little stuck with this one, as I've played on and off with the background, proportions and details (getting her 'shoulders' to look right, etc etc) all this time.  But, finally, FINALLY today I put the finishing touches on her, including my signature, and am declaring 'Red Dress' done for once and for all...  Finis!  (and to be added soon to my Etsy shop)....

◄ Newer Post Older Post ►
 

Copyright 2011 Art of Patience is proudly powered by blogger.com